Eleven, born in 1983
Occupation: Church Servant and student of theology
Project name: Youth Empowering in Mining Area Project, Parongil, Dairi, North Sumatra
The project objective is to guide and strengthen the youth as a future generation. Many youth still lack knowledge, skill and ability to face the challenges of life. This is also the case for the youth in Sopo Komil-Parongil in mining area.
- Have a youth group which good solidarity and faithful in Christ.
- The youth know more about Bible and able to implement in their life.
- The participants realize their situation and able to promote awareness of environmental.
- People surrounding know the essential of education.
Even so there is obvious improvement, the goals have not been fully met.
- Every youth meeting they have Bible study, disscussion and sharing their own experiences.
- The young people involve their family in not just throwing away rubbish especially plastics. They made a special place or hole for rubbish.
In this project most of activities are awareness education such as seminars besides youth group activities namely Bible study, retreat. As a education process, the impact of the learning not really obvious yet. Having a youth group – recruitment process spent long time and was full of challenges. Some of youth’s parents or family members did not fully support their children in attending the youth group. The family thinks by attending the group there is less time for helping the family to work.
Successes and challenges
The youth members understood the importance of the learning process and and also of reaching out to their family members.
Having a youth group – recruitment process spent long time and was full of challenges. Some of youth’s parents or family members did not fully support their children in attending the youth group. The family thinks by attending the group there is less time for helping the family to work.
Also, the economic crisis affected the frequency of youth meeting. Some of youth have to move to the big city looking for a new job.
- Bible studies
- Workshop : Global warming and effects
- Youth retreat
- Workshop: Leadership and HIV/AIDS
- Cleaning the environment demonstration (an action to be free of plastics)
Number of people involved
What did you learn personally?
- “Cooperation and networking with many people is very important.
- The ‘I’ is never important – the ‘they’ is! However good or complete I arrange the project, it sometimes needs to be changed in order to cater to the needs of the people.
- The diversity of the participants helped me to understand and realize who I am.”